About the Program
Partnership aids states in providing education and meeting NCLB requirements
A national collaboration is being developed with the goal of assisting states in implementing No Child Left Behind (NCLB) requirements for juvenile justice education. By creating and maintaining partnerships and collaboration among states, this program will enable them to share information and resources that greatly improve their ability to provide effective education and meet different requirements of NCLB.
NCLB requires that states provide high quality educational services to incarcerated youth. States face many challenges in accomplishing this including lack of resources for effective program evaluation, hiring of highly qualified teachers, developing statewide data management systems, and overcoming past educational deficiencies of delinquent youths.
This project will form collaborations and build working partnerships among states. Furthermore, it will determine states' current juvenile justice education evaluation capacity, track the progress of each state's implementation of NCLB requirements, identify common problems for all states, and help to ensure that the NCLB requirements are implemented appropriately with an established consensus. The project also aims to provide technical assistance and training to the states.
A National Collaboration: Project Goals
The Juvenile Justice No Child Left Behind (NCLB) Collaboration Project is focused on facilitating collaboration nationwide for implementing the requirements of the NCLB Act as they pertain to juvenile justice education. The project's primary purpose is to develop a national agenda for research and policy as they relate to juvenile justice education and the implementation of NCLB requirements.
- Developing a network of agencies, administrators, and evaluators responsible for juvenile justice education across the nation; and continuing to collaborate with states in building consensus regarding the implementation of NCLB
- Identifying the administrative structure of states' juvenile justice education systems
- Determining state's evaluation capacities in juvenile justice education
- Identifying impediments to implementing NCLB requirements in juvenile justice facilities
- Identifying responsive strategies and evaluation methods states are using to successfully implement NCLB requirements in their juvenile justice education systems
- Assisting states in employing responsive strategies and evaluating their progress on implementing the strategies and NCLB requirements in their juvenile justice education systems
Ultimately, these goals are aimed at providing states with a forum to develop national leadership and consensus regarding the implementation of NCLB requirements and evaluation methods that will improve states' capabilities to effectively evaluate their juvenile justice education systems.